Rara Lake Trekking (West Nepal)
Activity provided by
In Kathmandu, Bagmati, Nepal
This trek through the remote wilderness of western Nepal offers a
superb experience of nature and a visit to Rara Lake, Nepal’s Largest
Lake at 3062 meters. Beginning the trek from the mountain airstrip of
Jumla after flying from Kathmandu via Nepalgunj, the trail passes
through green countryside which provides unusual glimpses of a culture
and scenery quite different from that found elsewhere in Nepal and
which eventually culminates to the Rara Lake National Park. Alpine
meadows and forests of pine, juniper and spruce surround this beautiful
high altitude lake, whilst in the background you can view the
magnificent snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas. The entire route is
‘off the beaten track’ which involves the crossing of Ghurchi Lagna
pass at 3450m on the way to Rara Lake and a few ridges at around 3000
meters when hiking on the way back.
Highlight of the Rara National park*Area:* 106 sq. km.
Location: Rara National Park is situated in the high mountains of North-west Nepal.
Features: Rara National Park is the smallest park in Nepal,
containing the country’s biggest lake (10.8 sq. km.) at an elevation of
2,990m. The park’s elevation ranges from 2,800m to 4,039m.
The forests are mostly composed of coniferous trees. The area
around the lake is dominated by blue pine, black juniper, and West
Himalayan spruce, oak and Himalayan cypress. At about 3350m, pine and
spruce give way to fir, oak and birch trees. Deciduous tree species
like Indian horse chestnut, walnut and Himalayan popular are also
A small portion of the park serves as an ideal habitat for the
endangered musk deer. Other animals found in the park include Himalayan
black bear, leopard, goral, Himalayan tahr and wild boar. Snow trout is
the only fish species recorded in the lake. Resident Gallinaceous birds
and migrant waterfowl are found at the lake. The great-crested grebe,
black-necked grebe and red-crested pochard are seen during the winter.
Other common birds are the snow-cock, chukor partridge, Impeyan
pheasant (danphe), kalij pheasant and blood pheasant.
- State / Region
- Zip / Postcode
- Nepal 27.7156157 85.3116511
Day01: Arrival in Kathmandu, hotel transfer
Day02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu
Day03: flight to Nepalganj overnight in Nepalganj in lodge
Day04: flight from Nepalganj to Jumla trek to Padmora (2900m)
Day05: Trek Padmora to Danphe (3230m) via Khari Langa pass (3550)
Day06: Trek to Kabre (2900m)
Day07: Trek to Rara Park border (bhulbule)
Day 08: Trek bhulbule rara lake (2980m)
Day09: Explore Rara Lake
Day10: Explore Rara Lake
Day11: Trek via Jhyari to river camp (2630m)
Day12: Trek via Ghurchi Lagna pass (3450m to chautha (2770m)
Day13: Trek to Tharamara (3280m)
Day14: Trek Tharamar to Jumla (2370m)
Day15: flight back to Nepalganj, afternoon towards Kathmandu
Day16: Visit Kathmandu
•Air ticket to and from Kathmandu-Nepalgunj- Jumla
•4 nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu
•Lodge accommodation in Nepalganj
•Tent/lodge & family stay on trek
•Trekking permit and national parks entry fees
•Supporting staff and porters
•Cooking utensil and fuels-
•Tents and mattresses
•Necessary foods supply during trek
• Insurance for trekking staf
•Meals & in Kathmandu
•Monuments entry in Kathmandu
•Alcoholic drinks, and Bottled water during trek
•Personal nature expenses
•emergency rescue by helicopter if necessary
-Lightweight walking boots, spare laces.
-A pair of track shoes.
-Warm Jacket, fiberfill or down should be adequate.
-Sleeping bag and down Jacket (we also provide from here)
-A rainproof jacket with hood or Poncho.
-Heavy weight trousers are useful for high up in the mountains both
for morning and night. Wind proof/water proof trousers are
necessary on all treks going above 10,000ft.
-2 pairs of loose fitting long shorts/skirts
-2 cotton T-shirts
-A woolen hat and sun-hat
-A pair of gloves, leather with lining and woolen is best
-a pair of sandals
-2 pairs of thin and 2 pairs of thick woolen socks
-Personal medical supplies
-Toiletries with towels
-Snow glasses and sunglasses
-Things of your personal interest.
Terms & Policies
- You need to submit a signed booking form and a deposit of 20% to make a booking.
- If you cancel your booking not more than a month before of your scheduled tour the company is not compelled for refund the deposited amount. But if you wish you may transfer your deposit to another tour. For this you need to make a written request to the company as soon as you decide to cancel a tour program. If the second tour program is expensive than the cancelled one you need to bear the extra cost.
- If you give us the notice of your tour cancellation 4 weeks before departure your deposit will not be refunded unless you convince us that the situation was beyond one’s control as a reason of tour cancellation.
- We will not cancel the tour unless the unpredictable circumstances compelled us to do so, like flight cancellation, civil or political unrest, war or anything that cause he disturbances in the tour.
- If we cancel your tour by our reason, we will offer an alternative tour if possible. If it is not satisfactory to you we will refund all the money paid to us to the date.
- The company reserves the right to adjust the price with the fluctuation in the economic market but we will inform the concerned about the likely changes before 4 weeks of departure. If you are not satisfied with the changes, you have to write to the office addressing to the booking officer within 7 days of the notification of the surcharge. We will try to develop understanding/compromises. If we fail to do so we will ask you to cancel the tour.
- The company will provide the information on the matters such as permits, visas, climate, clothing, baggage, special equipments etc in good faith but without any responsibility on the part of the company.
- You will be informed earliest possible if any significant change in the tour is to be made and, if you don’t want to accept the change you may transfer to another tour, mwith an appropriate price adjustment, or cancel without any penalty. If you have any complaints about our arrangement, you are requested to make it known to the team leader in the earliest opportunity, who will normally appropriate to take necessary action. If you feel that your tour is likely to be significantly affected because of our arrangement, you are suggested to contact our head office and we will do our best to solve the problem in the earliest.
- The company will accept the liability for the negligence of its own employees or agents causing physical injury only to the extent that it is obliged to do so under our national law. We will not be responsible for any other mishap to yourself or to your property, and in particular for the effects of flight cancellation, strikes, wars, sickness, government intervention or other such happenings.
- The company can not be accountable for any damages caused by the total or partial failure to carry out the contract if such failure is attributable to the clients:
- unforeseeable or unavoidable or attributable to the third party unconnected to the company; or
- result of unforeseeable circumstances beyond the control of the company, such as strikes, wars, civil or political unrest or government action
If cancelled up to 7 days before date of arrival, no fee will be charged. If cancelled later or in case of no-show, the entire activity price may be charged.